Thursday, September 5, 2013

Language barriers and Wal-mart sightings

I have prolonged posting as long as possible.  I am practically bursting at the seams.  If the first two weeks are any indication for how the year will go, you better buy stock in Puffs (Kleenex if you are desperate) because there are sure to be many tear-inducing-laughter filled moments.

While picking up math homework, I asked the question "Is it complete?" This is a difficult question for some of my ESL students.  The conversation went like this:

Me: Raise your hand if you have your homework.
*8 out of 9 students raise their hands
Me: Put your hands down.  Raise your hand if your homework is in this room.
*1 student raises their hand.
Me: *Sigh* Put your hands down. Raise your hand if your homework is in this building.
*8 out of 9 students raise their hands
Me: Put your hands down.  Raise your hands if your homework is complete.
*7 1/2 out of 9 students raise their hands. You know that up-down motion that says I'm not quite sure what you are asking but I'll raise it and see what answer you are looking for.  But if you give me "the look" I'm putting it back down.
Me: Put your hands down. (Calling on a student who doesn't have theirs.)  Why don't you have your homework?
Student: My mom said I could do it here.
Me: That defeats the purpose of the "home" in "homework".  I'll see you at recess detention.
*Tears ensue.
Me: (Calling on another student) Why don't you have your homework?
Student: What homework?
Me: I'll see you at recess detention.
Student: Fine, I hate recess anyway.
Student who said their homework was complete:  My homework is in my classroom but I didn't answer one.
Me: So then it isn't complete.
Student who said their homework was complete: No it is in-the-complete.
Me: You just said you didn't answer one.
Student who said their homework was complete: Yes
Me: What does complete mean?
Student who said their homework was complete: Finished
Me: Did you finish your homework?
Student who said their homework was complete: Yes, all but one.
Me: So you didn't finish every single question on your homework assignment?
Student who said their homework was complete: Oh, no ma'am.
Me: Then why did your raise your hand when I asked if your homework was complete?
Student who said their homework was complete: Because my homework is in-the-complete.
Me: *Light bulb* Your homework is "incomplete" not the same thing.

Aide: You put "the" when you meant to say "they" every time. You are very close but missing something.
Student: How do you spell they?
Me: That is a sight word you should know.  I know for a fact I put it on your spelling test several times last year.
Student: Like "They likes to play outside."
Me: You should know this, use the sight word tiles if you need help.
*Student gets quiet and continues working. Time passes.
Me: Let me see what you have written so far. "Day likes two play outsid."

It's a work in progress.

My new favorite.  Quite possibly this year's version of "poet":


The Spanish alphabet according to Room 205.
My former students couldn't read cursive handwriting.  So, in an effort to help this, I labeled their math spirals with the student's number, written in words, in cursive, to assist this years' students with this skill.  Yesterday, after 5 days of using the cursive labeled math spiral, a student refused to pick it up saying "That's not mine, mine isn't written in Spanish."

I guess it's all Greek Spanish to them.

On a non-school related note, I stopped by Wal-mart tonight to pick up a minor missing ingredient for our low-carb hamburger helper (apparently we were missing the hamburger), I witnessed a Wal-mart special.  Coming down the aisle, nearly running me over, was a sight that was etched into my memory.  There was a skinny man, in overalls, on a Wal-mart issued Hoveround, wearing a neck brace, with a cigarette between his teeth.  As if this sight was not enough to brand my memory, the contents of his basket distracted me more.  In his small Wal-mart issued Hoveround basket were 3 items: a case of Ramen noodles, Froot Loops (not the Great Value brand either), and beer.  Yeah, he's living the bachelor life.  Clearly he has the essentials.

Tomorrow is Friday.  Let's not forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment